“Exploration of Architecture” is an immersive program that engages you with architecture thinking and the design process. This program will challenge you to connect more deeply with the built world by providing opportunities to experience and create meaningful places through dynamic learning methods. You will imagine and draw, as well as discover, examine, and analyze architecturally impactful places and buildings. You will gain insights into the profession through talks, conversations, and interviews with leading architects and scholars. The goal of the program is to stimulate you to pursue further education as architects, designers, and scholars who are leaders in your community and beyond.
June 18 – July 15, 2023
- Conversations with leading architects and scholars
- Specific guidance to create a compelling portfolio advantageous to the college admissions process
- Instruction to develop valuable drawing and modeling skills, both analog and digital
- Visits to architecturally and culturally significant places
- Close interaction with USC School of Architecture faculty members, practicing architects and current USC students
Topic of Study
Core architectural skills:
- Heightened 3D spatial awareness and understanding
- Fundamentals of design and composition
- Improved vocabulary of basic ordering principles
- Fundamental sketching, drawing, and photography skills
- Fundamentals of digital software, both 2D and 3D
- Broadened understanding of design methods and tools
Important Considerations for Success
This rigorous program is most suitable for students who are independent workers and highly self-motivated.
Read more about the Exploration of Architecture course and see more pictures on the USC School of Architecture website.